Personal Information is information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person, whether recorded in a material form or not. An identifiable natural person is one who can be reasonably identified, either directly or indirectly, through focussing on identifiers that distinguish the person from others such as legal name, date of birth, location or symbolic identifiers such as a driver?s licence number. Information that has been anonymised or de-identified to such an extent that it can no longer be used to identify a specific natural person, whether used in combination with other information or as a standalone item, is not considered personal information.
When you make use of our Services, through any device including mobile, we collect personal information from you. To enter into an agreement with shoppingtown.info, we need some personal information to identify you, but all other personal information is provided voluntarily. Please note that as additional personal information may be required to make effective use of the Services, i.e. credit or banking information required to complete a transaction, failing or refusing to provide additional information may affect the Services provided
We collect personal information for the primary purpose of providing the Services to you, providing information to our clients and for marketing. We may also use the Personal Information for other purposes closely related to the provision of the Services, in circumstances where you would reasonably expect such use of your personal information.
We collect your personal information through multiple avenues, including the following:
- When you use our Services or register for an account with us, we collect your
- identifying information such as your name, addresses, telephone numbers or email addresses when you register for an account with us
- buying, selling, banking other financial information provided to complete a transaction or listing
- Content that you generate, or that is connected to your account, including the content of your cart or collections of listings
- Postage, billing and other information used to purchase or send an item, including information required to clear customs and track your item
- Information provided in messaging or other contact with us or other users regarding the Services
- Additional information we are required or authorised by applicable national laws to collect and process in order to authenticate or identify you or to verify the information we have collected
Where reasonable and practical to do so, we will collect Personal Information only from you. However, in some circumstances we may be provided with information by third parties, or we may supplement your personal information with information from third parties to improve our Services to you. This may include demographic and other information that is publicly available in an applicable jurisdiction, as well credit check information and information from credit bureaus, as allowed by law.
On shoppingtown.info we allow users to link and share information with social media sites, or to use social media sites to create accounts. These social media sites may give us automatic access to your personal information that they have stored or collected, and you hereby confirm that we are allowed access to collect, use and retain this information.
We use your personal information to fulfil the contract we have with you and provide our Services. We also may use your personal information to protect your interest, comply with a legal obligation or if required for the public good.
This use may include actions or use of your personal information
- To provide you with a personalised experience on our sites including; contacting you about your account and our Services, providing you with customer service, personalised advertising and marketing
- Tracking information to detect, prevent, mitigate and investigate fraudulent or illegal activities.
- To provide payment processing and account management; contacting you regarding your account, troubleshooting problems with your account as well as resolve disputes, collecting fees or other monies owed
- To operate, measure and improve our Services, or to keep our service safe and operational, and optimise site content that includes items and services that you may like in response to actions that you take, or general location information to provide location-based services
- To provide other services as requested or authorised by you
- To prevent, detect, mitigate, and investigate fraud, security breaches or other potentially prohibited or illegal activities
- To enforce our Terms and Conditions, this privacy notice, or other policies, and to monitor restrictions on offers to buy or sell outside of shoppingtown.info and member-to-member communications for violations of our policies or applicable laws
We may further use your personal information to pursue our legitimate interests where your rights and freedoms do not outweigh these interests. These legitimate interests include:
- To improve our Services by, amongst other actions, by reviewing information associated with stalled or crashed pages to alleviate further problems in the user interface
- To personalise, measure, and improve our advertising based on your advertising customisation preferences and tracked actions on our site
- Contact you about public policy matters, or other current events, related to your ability to use our Services. This could include an invitation to join a petition, letter writing, call or other sort of public policy related campaigns
- To deliver targeted marketing, service updates, and promotional offers based on your communication preferences
- To measure the performance of our email marketing campaigns or seller?s performance
- To monitor and improve the information security of our site and mobile applications
With your consent, we may use your personal information for more direct actions, including to
- Provide you with marketing via telephone calls, SMS or text
- Provide you with marketing from other companies affiliated with shoppingtown.info or from other third parties
- Access and use your precise geo-location to provide more accurate location-based services
- Use your sensitive personal information to facilitate transactions in certain categories, where the sensitive information relates to your capacity or authorisation to enter into these transactions, such as licenses or permits etc
You may withdraw or amend your consent to the processing, collection or retention of your personal information at any stage. Where the withdrawal of your consent will significantly impact our provision of the Services, we will inform you accordingly, and if you elect to proceed we reserve the right to limit or restrict the services we are unable to provide without consent
We may use technologies considered automated decision making or profiling, however we will not make such decisions where they would significantly affect you, unless we have your consent, alternatively we are required by law or our obligations under the contract we have with you to do so
You may further make choices on how we use your personal information to market or advertise our services to you.
- Marketing ? We do not sell, rent or in any fashion provide your personal information to third parties for their marketing purposes without your consent. Where we use your personal information for our own marketing, you can unsubscribe via the link in the email or via the Contact Us section should you wish to no longer receive our marketing material
- Advertising ? We do not allow third parties to track or collect your personal information on our sites for their own advertising purposes, without your consent. Where we have targeted advertising programs, you can remove yourself from these programs by following the steps set out in our Cookie and Similar Programs Policy
You have the right to know what personal information we have collected and retained about you, and to ensure such information is accurate and complete. On request we will provide you with a copy of the personal information we keep in a machine readable and readily understandable format
You have the right to object to our processing of your personal information, or to delete or restrict how we use your personal information, however this may impact your access and ability to use some of the Services, and should you object to, delete or restrict the required information we reserve the right to limit the impacted Services.
Upon your request, we will close your account and remove your personal information from view as soon as reasonably possible, based on your account activity and in accordance with applicable national laws
We do not sell, rent or otherwise provide your personal information to third parties for any purpose without your consent.
We may however disclose your personal information under the following circumstances:
- To service providers and financial institutions, to enable us to provide our Services, payment processing services, collection services or other business services
- To financial institutes to prevent, detect, mitigate and investigate potentially illegal acts, fraud and/or security breaches, and to assess and manage risk or to provide customer services such as servicing your account or resolving disputes
- To service providers that assist in the investigation, prevention, detection, mitigation and attendant actions of potentially illegal acts or violations of our polices or Terms and Conditions
- Third party shipping providers, who will receive the necessary information to provide services in the delivery and shipment, as well as tracking, of items purchased and sold
- To ensure our compliance with legal requirements, law enforcement and obligations under the court system we may disclose personal information as authorised by law, court order or legal process relating to a criminal investigation or alleged or suspected illegal activity or any other activity that exposes us, you, or any other of our users to legal liability
- To protect anyone's rights, property or safety
- To credit agencies or bureaus as authorised by applicable national laws
- Where personal information, such as your name and account ID, are required to complete a transaction or assist with a claim on an unsuccessful transaction, we may disclose the required information to another user
We retain your personal information for as long as necessary to provide the Services you have requested, or for other essential purposes such as complying with our legal obligations, resolving disputes, and enforcing our policies. If you have consented to a longer retention period, we will retain the records in line with your consent, however in all other matters we will retain the records for the minimum period required by the mandatory data retention laws of the applicable jurisdiction. If we received any government or court orders to preserve data relevant to an investigation, or personal information retained for the purposes of litigation, we will adhere to same.
Once we are no longer required to retain your personal information, we will destroy or dispose thereof in a secure fashion
We will protect your personal information using the generally accepted industry standards to ensure that technical and administrative safeguards are put in place to reduce the risks of loss, misuse, unauthorised access, disclosure and alteration.
During your use of shoppingtown.info, and especially when completing transactions, you will gain access to receive personal information of other users of the site (such as their name, account ID, email address, contact details, delivery and billing address). Once you have obtained this information you are also a controller of such data and we confirm that the applicable privacy laws will regulate your use, retention and processing of the information obtained.
You may use the personal information that you have obtained via shoppingtown.info only to complete transactions or provide services on the site, or for other uses as expressly consented to by the data subject or owner of the personal information. Using personal information of other users that you have access to for any other purpose constitutes a violation of our Terms and Conditions.
Please ensure that you acquaint yourself with the privacy or security polices of any third party you provide or intend providing personal information to, as we cannot guarantee the privacy of your information once it is provided to a third party. This includes third parties you provide information to that may be buyers or sellers on this site.
Your right to file complaints with a data protection supervisory authority remains unaffected.